Today I’ll be celebrating my 38th wedding anniversary with my very best friend!
Here are a few pictures that I dug up from our wedding day. Our wedding colors were mint and forest green which went well with the massive Christmas tree at the front of the church. It was the 70’s and we weren’t fancy folks, so no ties for the guys and that lovely wide lapel suit coat for my sweetheart. I couldn’t find a dress simple enough in the stores, so I had this one made for $70. I made the veil myself for a few bucks and I still love the simplicity of it all.We both love Christmas, so we thought getting married in December was a great idea. We were on a tight budget and paid for our own wedding (mostly). Since the wedding was so close to Christmas we asked our families not to get us any Christmas presents. The cool thing was that we went on a 2 week honeymoon and got back just in time to open all of our wedding presents on Christmas morning. What a fun morning that was! Sitting as a married couple for the first time in our little one bedroom furnished apartment near 7th Street and Camelback Rd., reading every card with reminders of love and commitment from our friends and family. Then opening all those precious wedding gifts from the people we loved! There couldn’t have been a better way to start our lives together.
It’s crazy to think that we’ve been together for all these years! We’ve changed and grown and learned so much about ourselves and each other. Even though any relationship that last this long has it’s ups and downs, I’m so blessed that this guy has been there beside me through it all.
These are just a few things that I’m thankful for:
- Thankful that he’s been such a wonderful partner and provider in our family. Practical, strong, steady and careful with our lives and resources
- So blessed that he’s always been there to love and care for our children. I’ve never had any doubt that he was 100% committed to them.
- Thankful that we’ve learned to appreciate each other’s interests and strengths and realize that even though God created us very differently, He designed us to compliment each other perfectly.
- Grateful that we’ve learned to love, forgive and protect each other’s weaknesses.
- I love that he’s a life-long learner and constantly listening, watching, reading and analyzing everything. I’m continually amazed at all the information that’s stored in his brain. It’s such a joy to see that the same love of learning has been passed on to our kids.
- Thankful that he’s been there to listen, comfort, and hold me through so many sorrows, losses and painful times.
- Blessed that he lets me dream big dreams and encourages my creativity and adventurous spirit.
- Most of all, I’m so blessed to know that as long as the Lord allows we’ll get to walk this earth together discovering new things, laughing, crying, and enjoying each other’s company. Thank you God, for placing him in my life.
I’m so thankful that we still have connections to all the people in this picture. What a blessing to have known (and loved) them all for so long!
Thank you Lord for a wonderful day to remember your goodness!